This is a guest post from my friend, Amy Estes.
I’ve been going through an elimination diet recently in which I excluded sugar for at least a month (I lost 10 pounds!). I have been gradually reintroducing certain foods and looking forward to something sweet. While a lot of foods are still out for me, coconuts and dates are both things on my allowed list. And guess what…both have health benefits that aid in weight loss! Not to mention that the lemon essential oil can support healthy metabolism and help your body burn more calories and fat!
This is a simple snack recipe to give me some sweetness and healthy fats while still maintaining my elimination diet and healing my gut. The lemon essential oil gives an outstanding depth of flavor. The taste makes me think of a lemon meringue pie!
My girls both enjoy these treats as well. Keep in mind that we are used to lower sugar so you may need to add more sweetness to taste. Here is the nutritional breakdown I discovered about my snack creation.
Health benefits of raw coconut:
- Raw coconut is rich in medium-chain triglycerides, a type of dietary fat that may encourage weight loss.
- Raw coconut is rich in dietary fiber.
- Several substances in raw coconut may boost immune function and help your body stay healthy.
- A serving of fresh coconut meat provides high levels of several minerals: manganese, copper, selenium, potassium, iron, phosphorus, magnesium, and zinc.
Health benefits of dates:
- While dates contain high amounts of natural sugars, they are actually a low-glycemic index food.
- Dates are loaded with fiber.
- May lower triglycerides.
- The primary vitamins in dates are the B vitamin family which help with the metabolism of food and the formation of new blood cells.
- An excellent source or minerals, with potassium at #1 with copper, manganese, magnesium, calcium, phosphorous, iron and zinc completing the mineral profile.
Lemon Coconut Mounds
- 1 c. unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 pitted dates
- ¼ c. coconut oil
- 3 drops lemon essential oil (high quality)
- Pinch of Himalayan sea salt
Place all ingredients in a food processor
and blend until dates are chopped and the mixture appears crumbly.
- Substitute 1 tbsp. honey instead of the dates
- To increase the sweetness, add honey or stevia or additional dates
- Try another citrus essential oil
- Use peppermint essential oil with some Enjoy Life mini-chocolate chips
- Up the nutrition with Omega-3’s by including some chia seeds
Amy lives in Oklahoma with her husband of 12 years. Has 7 & 5 year old girls, one of whom is a type 1 diabetic. She loves Jesus, reading, watching movies, homeschooling, and learning to manage her family’s home and health naturally.