Resolving Sore Throathttps://naturaloilmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Garlic-Web2.jpg 640 426 Jenni Jenni https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/a5b41ac8bffbdcfb8493f1bc1c25fec6?s=96&d=mm&r=g
I’ve had lots of people ask me about resolving soreness in the throat and supporting the immune system, so I thought I’d share my recommendations.
My throat is my barometer for the well-being of my body. When my throat starts to hurt, I know I need to cut back on heavy foods (especially after the holidays) and give my body a break.
Here are a few things I do to help my body get balanced again and support my immune system in case I have sick bugs multiplying.
- Stop eating meat, dairy, sugar and flour products.
- Drink lots of filtered water.
- Get enough sleep.
- Drink raw fruit or vegetable juice for breakfast and/or lunch.
- Eat a light soup or salad for dinner.
Here are my favorite sore throat remedies. Generally, the more your throat hurts, the greater chance it is growing infection. And the longer you have this condition, the more aggressive you have to be to resolve it.
- Garlic: 3 cloves are equivalent to an adult dose of penicillin. Capsules can help systemically, but garlic going down the throat will kill infection by contact. These are the easiest ways to take it:
- Mixed with butter on toast. Press 1 garlic clove into a dish and mix well with 1 TB of butter (or olive oil). Spread on bread and eat or toast and then eat (less potent if toasted). I love eating this even when I’m not sick.
- Mix with honey. Press 1 clove and mix with 1 tsp to 1 TB of raw honey. Eat straight or on bread or toast.
- Press a clove into a bowl or hot or warm soup or broth.
- Blend up 1 or 2 cloves in raw, fresh carrot juice.
- Choose any of the above and repeat every 2-3 hours.
2. Vickie Sorensen’s Anti-Plague or Dr. Christopher’s Garlic-Immune Formula. Take a half dropper or 1/2 teaspoon every hour. I gave the Anti-Plague to myself and kids over Thanksgiving when we were around sick relatives and eating a bunch of white sugar. It got rid of some runny noses fast and immediately eased the pain in my throat. (They both contain garlic).
3. Essential oil respiratory or immune blend rubbed on throat externally or a few drops taken internally. I use essential oil blends on my neck. They are powerful and must be diluted with a few drops of carrier oil (coconut or olive oil).
My sister Emili swears by essential oil throat drops. I’ve also used them for coughs and found them to be effective. She says the reason she loves them is that by sucking on them you get those essential oils (clove, cinnamon, eucalyptus, rosemary & myrrh) right in the back of your throat where you need them, for 10-20 minutes.
She usually coughs up a good amount of phlegm when she uses them, so they work well as an expectorant also.
4. Other Substitutes for Antibiotics
- Take 5 drops of oregano oil and 5 drops olive oil in an empty capsule 3 times a day.
- Vickie’s Infection formula, 2 capsules, 3 times a day.
I’ve found it’s better to do remedies more often, perhaps in smaller quantities, than to do larger quantities only a couple times a day.
You don’t have to be out of control of your health. Manage your own well-being by eating a cleaner diet, living a healthier lifestyle, and educating yourself so you can doctor yourself and your family with the many wonderful remedies that are available to us.